Beginning a New Chapter in Life

 

Beginning a New Chapter in Life

The beginning of my new relationship was like being thrust into the fast stream of a rushing river, out of the tranquil lagoon I'd inhabited at my Mom's house. The water was chill and shocking, its current nearly overwhelming, compelling me to swim or sink. The pressure to find my own nest was a ruthless taskmaster, but you'll be happy to remember - necessity is the mother of invention. And, boy, did I have to invent a new life and quickly!

Beginning a New Chapter in Life

Stir in a touch of divine intervention. Call it a late holiday gift or a miracle, that long-awaited income tax check arrived just in time. Pursuant to a frantic search, I struck gold in the form of a spacious two-bedroom, two-bathroom apartment. It was the kind of place that would make realtors smug. Yes, it was that good. The furniture was liberated from storage, and it felt like uncorking a bottle of vintage wine - nostalgic and comforting.

After making the deposit, the vacant space in the apartment seemed to echo my journey – from Mom's place to starting a new chapter as an independent man. Being a fridge magnet sentimentalist, I got one that simply said, "Dad's Pad". My own place! With my newfound love of course, but most importantly, this allowed me to take custody of my son, JJ, from his Mom. This was honestly the high point, like reaching the peak on a very steep hike.

Meeting a Whole New Family

Shakespeare wasn't kidding when he said, "It is a wise father that knows his own child," but pile on meeting a new family and you've got a story for another day. Ann, my beloved, was the proverbial package deal - sweet, loving, and ready-made with seven grown children. Yes, you read that right. Seven. Not that it was daunting or anything. Their family tree was more like tangled vines on the side of an old, undaunted wall. Time now, to learn all their names, faces, favorite movies, guilty pleasures, you know the drill - but the warmth of the welcome wrapped around me and JJ. Thus, started the meet-and-greet marathon, learning the ins and outs of my newfound family.

The Testing Times

New beginnings, while exciting, aren't always smooth. It was as if we were sailing an uncharted sea, and after the initial calm came the storm. Our little world was shaken to its core when JJ's mental health required professional intervention. Some nights, I was forced to play the dual role of both Dad and Human Shield!

JJ's struggles had him land in "Life-stream", a safe haven catering to people caught in the turbulent tempests of mental health crises. Then another whirlwind hit us – "house guests". Specifically, some members of Ann's brigade decided to temporarily move in, kids and baggage in toe. My tranquil home suddenly echoed with the confluence of voices, young and old, known and getting-to-know. Cheeky as it sounds, I secretly hoped they didn't like the color of my bathroom tiles, perchance they'd leave sooner!

1 Cor. 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to handle it.

Paddling Through the Chaos

Through this melee, Ann and I performed an incredible juggling act. We had to orchestrate appointments and pull together a support system for JJ, which included finding a pediatrician, a psychiatrist, and a school. It felt like we were building a castle in quicksand, all while emotionally and domestically grappling with Hurricane JJ.

But you know, as crazy as it sounds, I wouldn't change a darn thing! The unpredictable journey, the odd surprises, the newfound love, taking charge of my son's life, and handling a houseful of humanity, it all made my life, well, so darn lively! The kind of lively that wouldn't even fit neatly into a 500-word blog entry. So, here we are - a smaller-than-average guy, a larger-than-life lady, a son, and a band of merry men and women, starting a new chapter in this book called Life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sheriffs in Polk, Brevard, and Volusia Counties: Promoting Concealed-to-Carry Firearms Licenses, shoot alot!

Why are African Americans Leaving their jobs?

Our Hospital Visit: A Funny Moment and a Doctor's Advice