My autistic son: A day in my life " I NEED HELP! Let's talk APD, community mental health and more"

 <script async src="https://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js?client=ca-pub-7060335668480660"

     crossorigin="anonymous"></script>

# Agency for Persons with Disabilities: A Day in My Life with My Autistic Son


## "I NEED HELP! Let's talk APD, Community mental health centers, and more"


Our story unfolds like a gripping movie plot, peppered with challenges and occasional triumphs. Yet, it's an everyday reality for many of us. Trying to sort through the cobwebs of information on APD and mental health wellness centers, well, that’s an entirely different ball game.


### Episode 5: Community Behavioral Health Centers


Grab a coffee folks, this could be a long one. Community health centers drew me in with their promises of promoting mental wellness and individual growth. Now, I don’t mean to rain on their parade but from my standpoint, they've missed the mark, by quite a distance!


Here's the thing – mental health centers are supposed to be places that pave the way forward, striving to promote mental health wellness on an individual and community level. Yet, every experience I've had has been akin to a brick wall – impassive, immobile, wasting my time while offering virtually no support.


Bring me a health center that works its fingers to the bone, flying the flag for mental health awareness and tolerance. Show me a place that makes you feel validated, seen, and acknowledged the moment you cross the threshold. I never found it at #PeaceRiverCenter in Bartow, Florida, or #LifeStreamBehaviorCenter in Leesburg, FL at all, and, I'd love to be proven wrong.


### (APD) Agency for Persons with Disabilities


Now here's another chapter in the saga. I mean, when you're a parent, you move mountains for your child’s well-being, right? Especially when you have an autistic child who needs a little extra care. At least, that's how it was for my son JJ. I remember signing him up for APD, hoping it would offer the answer to our prayers. The reality, however, was different.


Yes, they promised help, but often they trailed the statement with "...when he turns twenty-one". It's like pulling teeth, it boggles the mind really! But we held on to our hope like a lifeline and soldiered on.


We turned to a neurologist next. You see, whenever JJ had one of his episodes, he’d have a wild, unfocused look in his eyes. It was like he was possessed, and he'd attack, biting his tongue in the process. It reminded us of those suffering from seizures, with the crazy biting and trembling. So, we thought maybe, just maybe, JJ was having silent seizures.


I remember vividly the day when we took JJ for his overnight observation. They attached wires all over his head and connected them to a machine that would monitor his brain activity. Even today, I can recall his frightened gaze, his fear mirroring our own. But the results were a dead-end – no seizure activity in sight. Back to the drawing board then.


### Personal Reflection: Romans 7:18


Sometimes, I think of this quote, "For I know that in me (that is in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not." It can be tough to find the good on days like these. But I've learned that resilience isn’t built in a day, and faith isn't unwavering. With each fall, there's a rise waiting to happen.


> So, here's a shout-out to you all! Thanks for showing up, and for being a part of my journey. Please come back again, and maybe, just maybe, bring along a dash of optimism and a pinch of good vibes for us.

Jessie Holmes

### Do Better with Three Factors and Guidelines


Before you all go, these are for my fellow content creators. Remember, creating original and fresh content is crucial. Here are my three important factors to consider:


* **Perplexity:** Offer unexpected insights and avoid cliches. Dive deep into your creativity like a dolphin, constantly surfacing with unique thoughts.

* **Burstiness:** Find the balance in your language use. Sprinkle content with a variety of phrases, like pizza toppings, and avoid repetition.

* **Predictability:** For creativity, embrace novelty but follow clarity and conventions regarding information sharing.


So folks, color outside the lines. Add a dash of your unique voice and a sprinkle of humor. Introduce minor imperfections or colloquialism, it’s what makes you, well, you! Remember you're no artificial intelligence, you're genuine, real, and unique. So go ahead, and make your piece feel like it's been penned by someone truly creative and memorable.

 


 


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sheriffs in Polk, Brevard, and Volusia Counties: Promoting Concealed-to-Carry Firearms Licenses, shoot alot!

Why are African Americans Leaving their jobs?

Our Hospital Visit: A Funny Moment and a Doctor's Advice